Families go through distinct phases throughout the family life cycle and each phase brings it’s own set of challenges. Co-habitation, marriage, having children, parenting, children leaving home, separating/divorcing, blending families, losing family members, etc. all have the potential to outstrip our capacity to cope on our own.
Whether your family is facing separation or divorce, remarriage or a blending of preexisting families, relocation, birth/death/adoption, adjusting to an ill or disabled family member, caretaker burn out or any number of other complex family dynamics, family counselling can help.
Family counselling can help by providing a safe, non judgemental, confidential and structured environment in which you can:
- Gain awareness of the constructive and destructive dynamics at play in your family
- Identify and change problematic issues, patterns, behaviours and roles
- Develop respectful, honest and healthy communication patterns
- Reduce conflict as well as tendencies to avoid of conflict
- Acquire new skills and tools for managing difference, adversity and life transitions
- Identify and discuss differences openly and respectfully
- Develop more life-affirming strategies, habits and routines
- Ensure that everyone has an opportunity to be heard and provide input into problem identification and resolution
- Approach problems collaboratively and develop mutually agreed upon goals and solutions and
- Increase your family’s capacity for connectedness, love, pleasure, and joy
We draw from a range of techniques and models to assist you and your family depending on your issues and preferences. These include:
- Family Systems Theory
- Non Violent Communication
- Attachment Theory
- Milan Family Therapy
- Strategic Family Therapy and
- Experiential Family Therapy
If you would like to request an appointment or a free consultation please call 1-888-316-0819 or fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly. Feel free to note your preference for appointment times in the comments section of the form below.